In the Name of God?

First, let me say I am not even a democrat, but right is right no matter how we vote.  Over the weekend I saw a news clip on ABC news about a church in Kansas (I will not mention their name as to not give them more attention) that planned to picket the funeral of Elizabeth Edwards.  They have recently been known to picket funerals of our soldiers who have died in the wars of Afghanistan and Iraq.  What sane person pickets a funeral? 
I never knew Elizabeth Edwards and do not proclaim to know what she believed as a Christian or not, but what I believe is that God is about love, not hate.  The God that I worship believes in redemption, salvation and forgiveness.
The leaders of the Kansas church claim that Edwards developed breast cancer and earned a cheating husband due to her support of Abortion and Gay rights.  They claim that since she supported those causes that God punished her with death, adultery and suffering.  So if that is truly what they think, then how will God punish them for unleashing all their venom on grieving families?  How does God condemn one behavior of “evil” by condoning another form of evil? 
I have a multitude of sin in my baggage of life.  Thank goodness I have a loving God that sees into my heart and knows that I am flawed, broken at times, and human all the time.  Thank goodness that He looks deep into my heart and knows my motives.  I see these young men and women who have died in the line of battle for my freedom and I’m repulsed that a group of “so called Christians” think that the God of creation, grace and love is applauding them. 
A group of members on Facebook came together to head to Virginia to create a barrier to block the Kansas church ugliness.  I  pray that they were successful in hiding the hideousness of the Kansas church were successful; that the three remaining children of Elizabeth Edwards were not aware that people in America who claim to love God were yelling such evil.  May her legacy of love live on, may her children grow up knowing that she believed in something higher then herself and may those who claim to love God, love like God.

Comments

Popular Posts