'Tis the Season...

Recently I have been on quiet the pity party. I left a job I loved. Lost some folks, I thought were friends and now the holidays are here and I’m feeling a bit lost.  Traditions I have had for years are going to change, candle light Christmas Eve service, kids, etc.  To say that I have been a Scrooge would be nice.  Honestly, I just wanted Christmas to happen without me.
Over the weekend my sweet husband pulled out the Christmas decorations, even though I wanted to put them up alone I put on my big girl panties and the kids and I decorated.  I ordered some presents and have most of the children bought for, so it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas at Dysfunction Junction.
Have you ever been a little down?  Feeling sorry for yourself and get a huge slap in the face or reminder that your life is really not that bad?  I happen to call these times, God moments.
I was leaving physical therapy, (I’ve had two knee surgeries in five months) and noticed a sheet of paper promoting donations for a young single mother of three who was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer.  I was instantly sent back to Christmas’ past as a single mom of five and experiencing the generosity and love from others that helped secure Christmas for my sweet children.  Humbling myself and accepting help from others to ensure my children were not punished for the sins of their parents was a time of growth and humility.    That moment in the office, reading that piece of paper reminded me that Christmas is not about jobs, traditions, or gifts, it’s about Christ.  My life, as chaotic and lonely at times as it is, could be so much worse. I am not worried about fighting cancer, leaving my children, battling a disease without a spouse or how I am going to put presents under a tree or feed my precious children.  This year, I have been more worried about the pain of back stabbing friends, concerned about not having a job or church home and seriously in the big scheme of life, big deal.  Back stabbing friends are not friends.  Jobs will happen and there are plenty of loving churches out there that would be tickled to embrace my dysfunctional family.  So what the heck, ‘Tis the season to be joyful that I have a husband who supports me through thick (added pounds) and thin (which I haven’t seen in a few years), illness, temper tantrums and burnt cookies.  I have kids that are healthy and even though we can not sit through a family dinner without the bubbling (farting), bickering and inappropriate bantering, I am blessed.  May God bless those who are struggling with loneliness, fear, and illness and may the rest of us remember the true meaning of Christmas, Happy Early Birthday Jesus.

Comments

Popular Posts