To Text or To Talk

We have implemented a two hour break on Sundays of technology.  From noon until two the kids, John and I turn off the television, put up our cell phones, and unplug the internet.  It was fueled from a devotional about being better stewards of our time.  Another reason for us to try this Sunday idea was the constant interruptions in relationships to answer a text, comment on facebook, and sit glued to the tv.  Now a couple of the kids rebuked the idea and I was told this is “stupid”, but with huffing and little puffing they put away their technology for the short two hour span.
We were able to pick up the house quickly and I even caught my grumpiest reading. 
I will have to say Mady was off with her boyfriend, so she owes some time and John spent the day on his computer working, so he owes some time as well.
I began getting a little antsy at wanting to check on my online class, but realized a few extra minutes were not going to fail me.
Today I read an article about a family who gave up all technology for six months.  The mom shares in a book, ‘The Winter of Our Disconnect’ that her family learned to reconnect with simple pleasures, like board games, playing musical instruments, and reading.  Her main reason of going without technology was that her children did not remember a time in their lives when there were not cell phones, internet and video games. 
In my home, I worry that we are losing the ability to communicate, spell, and look up information alphabetically.  I think I shall ponder how much huffing and puffing I will get for a little more time on Sundays.What happens when mom unplugs teens for 6 months?

Comments

Popular Posts