To Coop or Not to Coop

John and I have been going back and forth at the idea of raising more of our own food.  We have the space, can make the time and feel like for our children the benefits of fresh veggies and hormone free meat would outweigh the time and energy. 

Last night we were on our annual “date night” and past a sign offering “free roosters” which lead us to talk about putting up a chicken coop.  Now I am a little unsure about the whole chicken thing. I would like them, enjoy the fresh eggs and just saying” I raise my own eggs” sounds very Martha Stewartish to me. 

I went on to share with John that I did not want a rooster, no need to breed the chickens and I did not want fertilized, possible baby chick eggs in the coop of egg eating.  He tried to convince me that I could have a rooster and not get fertilized eggs.   I’m not buying it.  I remember this story my great grandmother shared about gathering eggs to scramble for breakfast one morning and when she cracked an egg, a baby chick came out.  Gross.  Then there is the issue with blood spots in the yoke, again Gross.  So I do not want a rooster, no offense to men, I just want virgin eggs. 

Comments

Popular Posts